Saturday, September 26, 2015

What is Love?

Webster defines love as an intense feeling of deep affection, a person or thing that one loves, and to feel a deep romantic or sexual attachment to (someone).  The Bible in 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 states it like this "Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.  Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.  It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres."



How is it that Webster can give a definition of love, the Bible states clearly what love is but yet no matter how intelligent you are, you can still be lost when it comes to love.  There is no blueprint on how to love someone, no manual, no love for dummies to help you get through love.  How is it that the one thing that we as humans mess up the most, is the one thing that we all crave the most, which is love.  Everyone loves different, what one person may use to show someone they love them, may be something that another person sees as a shortcoming in love.  I always thought to myself, my mother taught me everything in life but how to love.  But as I get older the more I realize there is no true way to teach someone how to love.  Maybe we're just all floating through life hoping that the person we love feels that the love I share they can feel, hoping that your actions somehow shows them that you love them.  I've learned a lot of things in my life, as I traveled through school and life in general, but the one thing I can honestly say that I have not truly learned is how to love.  Maybe love is not something that we learn, maybe love is something that is embedded in us, and once that person comes along, our true love, that which is embedded in us spills out in a way you didn't think possible.  We all have an idea in our head of how love should go, I just hope that the love I share and the image I have of how love should go matches the image of the person I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment